CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lunch Annoyance


K, I am probably a TERRIBLE person for even writing this, but I have to. Yesterday I was out on a lunch date and my friend, Don, and I were sitting there enjoying our food and a good conversation. All of a sudden a man walks up to our table, puts a little card on our table and walks away. Don and I stop our conversation and look at the card. It has a little Christmas pin attached to it and says, "I am deaf and need help. Please purchase this pin for $3." I look at Don and we are both like, "what the heck?" I felt so awkward b/c I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't have any cash on me (I never do, b/c I ALWAYS use my debit card for everything). I looked at Don and told him I didn't have any cash and he said he didn't have any either. So, we just shrugged our shoulders and went back to eating.

The guy came back to our table after a few minutes and looked at us and put out his hand for some money. We didn't know what to do other than to push the card back towards him and shake our heads. The man gave us a "how dare you not buy my pin" look and then took his card and walked off. I felt really bad, but we didn't have any cash. Then the more I thought about it, I kind of got annoyed. That man put me in an awkward position and ruined my lunch. I know he was just trying to get some help, but I felt like I was forced into feeling bad b/c I couldn't help him.

Am I evil for being annoyed w/ the deaf man?

5 comments:

Desperately Seeking Gina said...

That's the craziest thing I've heard. There is no justification for being greedy and expecting donations. Even for the deaf. How crazy.

~Penny~ said...

Nope, not at all. People do that all the time here in the city and just ignore them. Chances are, he is not deaf.

Don't feel guilty, not even a little bit!

Hanah said...

Ohh that's kind of sad, for both sides. I don't know, I always feel that I should try and help out if I can, but if I can't, then I try not to feel too bad about it, and say a little prayer that someone else will be able to help them. Maybe noone was buying his little pin that day, and you might have been the 100th person or so he had handed it too, with a rejection, so it's easy to see in these troubling times why he would be upset, but he shouldn't have glared. :) Don't feel bad, atleast you considered whether you had the cash or not. :D

The Watson's said...

ok that was the most awkward thing I have ever heard.

Mommy said...

When people want money, I just tell myself that is why I pay fast offerings so I have done my part.