CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Best Landlords & Baking Babes

IMG_2070 I know I say this all the time, but I really do have the absolute best landlords in the whole world.  Last week I came home from work and all the wildflowers that were growing in the yard had been wedded out.  Then today when I got home from work, I had this LOVELY surprise in my backyard.  Mom & Dad had taken it out of the front yard (where the branches would hit the roof of the house in any kind of wind or storm) and transplanted it to the backyard.  Not only that, they put mulch around it and metal edging and also did some landscaping in the front yard flowerbeds.

IMG_2066I’ve decided that I want to start baking more w/ Autumn b/c we both enjoy it so much.  So, we’re going to start being the Baking Babes.  At homemaking a few weeks ago they gave us a cookbook of favorite recipes from ladies in the ward.  So, tonight I decided to try one of the recipes.  I made lemon bars (see recipe below).  They were really easy to make and tasted good.  I think next time I will put some lemon zest in it, b/c I like my lemon bars a little more lemony.  Also, I cooked them a little bit too long b/c when I took them out after 25 minutes, the filling was still jiggly, but I guess it’s supposed to be that way and it hardens as it cools.  I LOVE that Autumn is helping me bake wearing a T-shirt, diaper, and her pink cowboy boots, b/c she refused to wear pants.  What a cute girl!

LEMON BARS
(by Melissa Wilson)

Crust:
1 c butter
1 3/4 c flour
2/3 c powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)

Topping:
1 1/2 c plain sugar
1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 c lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan w/ cooking spray.

To make crust:

  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and powdered sugar
  • Cut in butter until combined and crumbly
  • Press mixture into bottom of pan
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until golden

To make topping:

  • While crust is baking, prepare topping
  • In a larger bowl add sugar, flour, and baking powder
  • Then add slightly beaten eggs and lemon juice
  • Mix well and pour on top of warm baked crust
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes
  • When cool, dust with powdered sugar and refrigerate
  • Cut into bars and enjoy them cold

No comments: