CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Class Party & A Lost Tooth

Today I got to experience an incredible tender mercy that even makes me teary-eyed now while I’m typing up this blog post.  Autumn had her Christmas party today and asked me when I dropped her off if I was coming.  I sadly had to tell her no, I wouldn’t be able to come b/c I was working.  Usually it’s not a big deal when I drop her off at “college” but today it just broke my heart to have to tell her I couldn’t come.  I had a little bit of comfort knowing that Mom & Dad would be able to go to her party, but it just nagged at me all day.  Especially after I read THIS POST by Heather and especially #2 about not working so much and therefore missing important life events.  Well, around 2:00 my boss said he was leaving for they day and I saw an opportunity to ask if I could leave at 2:30 to go see Autumn’s day care program at 3:00.  To my surprise, he said that would be fine and to go and enjoy it!  I almost started crying tears of joy at how much the Lord blesses me.  It might seem silly to some people, but I know it was a tender mercy from the Lord b/c Autumn won’t have very many of these Christmas programs and I knew it was important for me to be there.

P1030985Anyways, I left work at 2:30 and got there right at 3:00.  Mom & Dad were already there and the kids were decorating some gingerbread men.  The joy on Autumn’s face when she saw me was PRICELESS!  It took everything I had in me not to breakdown in a puddle of tears.  I was so thankful & happy to be there for her b/c it meant so much to her.  She started jumping up and down and it will me a moment I will remember forever.  I got out my camera and of course started snapping pictures right away.

P1030991 I was pleasantly surprised at how many parents were able to be there.  The kids had a TON of food b/c we had all signed up to bring something.

P1030986 Of the 9 kids in her class, there are only 3 girls and all 3 had on cute Christmas dresses, so we had them come stand by the tree so we could get their pictures.  It’s Kiera & Ann Marie & of course Autumn.

P1030993 While the kids were eating, we heard some bells out in the hall and next thing we know, Santa Claus came into the classroom.  All the kids jumped up from their chairs and swarmed around him and were all talking at once.

P1030997 He was so cute and sat down on the floor w/ the kids so they could each have a turn sitting on his lap.  Autumn told him she wants a “dog walk” which is a Barbie that has dogs w/ it and a Cinderella horse, which is a Cinderella doll that comes w/ a horse.

P1040003 We had all the kids sit down w/ Santa before he left and say “Ho, ho, ho” which is why all of their mouths are open.

P1040004 After Santa left, the kids performed some songs for us.  I like that they have a menorah & dredel lights in the window along with a Christmas tree in the classroom.  It helps the kids to realize not everyone has the same beliefs and to be more tolerable of differences.  Anyways, the program was adorable of course and I’m so thankful Autumn gets to attend “college” so she can interact w/ other kids and have fun experiences like this.  I thought it was funny that she had to stand in the back w/ the boys b/c she’s so tall.  I know the feeling!

P1040009 Once the program got over, we stayed to help clean up and since it was already 4:00 by this time, so Autumn got to leave early.  We went to Bath & Body Works where I was able to get 6 bottles of lotion w/ out spending a penny of my own money.  They had a deal of buy 3, get 3 free and then I had a $10 off coupon if you spend $30.  Then once tax and everything was added in, the total was $24.90.  I had a gift card from Liz & her Mom for $25, so I didn’t have to spend any money.  Love that, especially since I can use those lotions for gifts to teachers and others.  After that, Autumn & I went to Cheesecake factory to get a gift certificate for a gift.  It has been raining all day which is great, b/c we had such a dry summer.  Autumn was so excited to use the umbrella and wanted to be a big girl and hold it herself.

P1040014 We went to Mom & Dad’s house to help Mom make dinner.  After we ate, Dad said he wanted to take a look at Autumn’s tooth.  He told her he was going to pull on it softly to see if it was ready to come out yet b/c it’s super loose now.  He gave it one good tug & Autumn started crying saying it hurt & she didn’t want him to try anymore.  He said he wouldn’t try anymore b/c he didn’t need to.  She questioningly looked at him b/c she didn’t know what he meant until he held up her tooth in his hand!  She was so happy & proud of her lost tooth.

P1040016 It did bleed a little bit b/c there was one stubborn root that was holding on, but it wasn’t enough to scare her.  We took the tooth and put it in a little ziplock bag so we wouldn’t lose it.

P1040026We came home & got out our tooth fairy doll that Mom made back when I was a little girl and lost my first tooth.  All 4 of us kids used it and I’m thrilled that Mom, once again, has saved something important from my childhood so I can share it & make it a tradition & pass it along to Autumn.  We put her tooth in the little pocket on the dress and then said prayers and Autumn went to bed w/ the excitement of knowing the tooth fairy would bring her some money in exchange for her tooth.

It is so fun for me to be on the parent side of the magic and to be a part of creating that for Autumn so that she can have those fun memories to look back on.

1 comment:

tara said...

As I was reading this I was looking at the pics and I thought to myself " I love the menorah behind the kids ". Being Jewish, I notice things like that because like you said it's nice to see other religions being shown .
Have a great Christmas !!!