CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Sunday

Today at church I was really touched by the Spirit. For the Sacrament program, the ward choir sang. There were only about 40 people in the choir, but it sounded more like 400. I am pretty sure there were angels there singing w/ them. The songs were absolutely gorgeous and literally made me cry. I had tears just streaming down my face a few times. One song they sang was “The First Noel”, but it was set to the tune of Pachabel's Canon in D. You can click HERE to hear a version I found on youtube (it’s good but no where close to how good our choir sounded). Then they sang, “Gifts That Are Mine To Give,” by David Allen. It was also incredibly touching.

During Sunday School our teacher, Sonja Linsley, shared a Christmas tradition with us that she and her family started in 1993. It’s a fictional story that she wrote about the Joseph Smith's Family sitting around during the Christmas of 1805 (the year he was born) and reading the Christmas story found in the Bible. Lucy Mack Smith is sitting and holding her newly born baby (Joseph) and thinking about the different passages in the story. An example is below:

“‘And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to they word.
And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord
And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
For he hath regarded the low estate of the handmaiden; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.’”
(Luke 1:38, 46-48)

“Lucy looked at the infant peacefully sleeping in her arms and began to wonder. Did the angel explain to Mary the complete mission of the child she would bear? Did Mary know her son would be reviled, ridiculed, humiliated? Did she know he would willingly sacrifice himself and give up his own life through a brutal death…? Lucy held her baby tighter. Did Mary know what she would face and was she still willing to say, ‘My soul doth magnify the Lord?’"

“‘But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.’”
(Luke 2:19)

“Lucy wondered how Mary must have felt to know her son would be the one perfect child to come forth on this earth. Did she understand how her son would save all mankind, how his influence would last through the eternities? How must it feel to now for a surety that after all the worry and sacrifice of raising a child, her son would be known for good through the world and through all generations? It was clear why Mary kept this in her heart, how could anyone find the words to express these overwhelming emotions?”

It was so touching to think of the similarities and feelings that Mary & Lucy must have had as they watched their sons go through all that they did. This story really impacted me and Sis. Linsley was kind enough to bring some copies of the story to share w/ us. It was beautifully written and I am going to make it a tradition to read this story every year. I am so glad that being at church today really helped to bring the reason for the season into my life, b/c I haven’t been feeling like it was Christmas time yet. Today helped to change that.

IMG_1653 After church we came home, and I wanted to get a picture of Autumn & I all pretty and dressed up for church.

IMG_1657 She’s my little love bug and loves me unconditionally. What better gift could I ask for?

IMG_1658 She looked so pretty today in her pretty princess Christmas dress.

IMG_1662 She made this ornament at daycare this week and was so excited to hang it on our Christmas tree.

IMG_1665 Look at the joy and happiness in her face. I am so excited to celebrate Christmas w/ her this year. She is the light of my life and makes my days so meaningful.

As I’m sitting her blogging this, I’m watching a show on the Halmark channel called, “The Ultimate Gift” with Drew Fuller, James Garner & Abigail Breslin in it. It’s really good and just one of those movies that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I’m feeling in the Christmas mood now thanks to all the great things that happened today and am ready for Christmas this coming week.

No comments: