CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cooking Queens

IMG_1639 This morning wasn’t our usual and relaxing Saturday morning. We got to sleep in until 8:45 (it was heavenly) and then we got cleaned up and had some cereal for breakfast and then Liz came over. We went to WalMart to get some groceries. I’ve always wanted to make it a tradition to take homemade Christmas treats to my neighbors, and now that I have neighbors and am out on my own, I decided to start that tradition. In Pioneer Woman style, here is the cast of characters.

IMG_1643 The first thing we made was pretzel & Rolo turtles. I was toasting the nuts and forgot they were on the stove and burned them…not a good start to the treat making, but it got better from there.

IMG_1642 The second thing we made was saltine cracker toffee. We put crushed up candy canes and nuts on top of it. MMM.

IMG_1644 The third thing we made was chocolate covered pretzels. We just bought pretzel rods and melted some white almond bark and some chocolate almond bark. We dipped the pretzels and then let them cool. After that, we drizzled the opposite type of chocolate over the rods. We sprinkled them w/ either coconut, nuts or crushed peppermint candy. It doesn’t sound like we made very much, but the kitchen was a complete disaster and it took about 2 hours to do everything.

IMG_1648 Liz had to leave, so Autumn & I went over to Mom & Dad’s house to help them get out Christmas cards ordered (we’re a little late getting them out this year). I had to run to the store to get some things for some presents, so Mom let Autumn stay there to watch Mulan. I got what I needed (which was 1/2 off…WOO HOO). I went and picked up Autumn & we came home to make fudge. She laid down on the couch while I got everything ready and when I went in to get her to come help me, she was all curled up on the couch asleep. What a little love bug.

IMG_1649I made the fudge and then got the treats ready. I got these mugs at WalMart for $2, and got the cute cellophane bags at the $1 spot (20 in each package) at Target. I also got some cute cards at the $1 spot and just wrote a little note on them and Autumn & I took our cards and treats around to our neighbors. It was a lot of fun and something I want to do every year w/ Autumn Bottom.

After taking our treats around, we went over to Mom & Dad’s to watch then 2nd half of the Cowboys game. It was a great game and we beat the undefeated Saints. WOOT WOOT! Autumn & I would hide under a blanket and go over and “get Papa.” It was a great evening of just spending time together.

No comments: