CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Our Annual Pool Dip & Ringing In The New Year

IMG_5141 This morning Autumn & I slept in for a little bit and then got up and had some breakfast.  We watched some TV and cleaned up the house and then headed over to Mom & Dad’s.  I helped Mom make deviled eggs for the party and get things ready.  Then at 1:00, we had our annual pool dip.  Some super sad news is that Aunt Sandy’s Dad has been sick the past few days b/c there is a bug going around the nursing home.  She got a call on the way over that he was put in the hospital.  So, they grabbed a quick bite to eat and had to leave.  We missed having them here, and our thoughts and prayers are w/ them and her Dad.

We had sandwiches w/ all the fixin’s, chips, dip, pasta salad, fruit, veggies, etc.  After all of our bellies were full, it was time for the pool dip.  It was an incredible 68 degrees today, which was so nice.  But, it was also really deceiving b/c the water was only 40 degrees!  It was COLD!!!  It’s kind of tradition that Nick usually goes in first, but he was working so Dad went in first instead.

IMG_5172

IMG_5161It was extra fun this year b/c the Berrett’s brought their exchange student from Spain.  Marina wasn’t going to get in b/c she forgot her swimming suit.  But, we just happened to have one that fit her great and we talked her into trying it.  The look on her face when she surfaced was priceless.  I also love the look on Britt’s face after he got in the hot tub.  I don’t know how people do it that cut a whole in the ice and don’t have a hot tub to get in after the cold.  Even though my skin burns when I get in the hot tub after being in the pool, it’s so worth it and feels so good after a minute.

IMG_5189 I think this is the fewest amount of people that we’ve ever had (10) b/c Rocky & Heather didn’t come b/c they were feeling sick and Monzingo’s were working so they didn’t come either.  But, we still had fun even though our numbers were few.  I thought this was our 12th year doing it, but Dad said it’s our 11th year.

IMG_5202 Mom & Lori were the party poopers and didn’t get in.  But, they were great at taking pictures and handing out the white elephant gifts and collecting the discarded wrapping paper.  I love this picture of Mom b/c she is so pretty.

IMG_5203 Here’s the brave bunch.  I got an AWESOME white elephant gift this year of a cop cookie jar that says really loudly “step away from the cookie jar” when you open it.  But, inside of it was some candy and 2 movie tickets and a $25 gift certificate to Logan’s Steak house!  That’s way above the $10 limit, but I’m thankful someone was so generous.  Too bad I don’t have anyone to take to dinner.  Guess I’ll just have to go by myself.

IMG_5208 After our fingers and toes started to get pruny, we got out and went in the house to graze on the food some more.  We were all sitting around talking and Britt said something about zombies and Caleb’s head snapped up and he went right over to Britt and snuggled up next to him and started having a deep conversation.  It was so funny to see b/c it was so random yet cute.

IMG_5209 Autumn wanted to go outside and ride scooters w/ Brooke, so I went out there w/ them.  This is Gracie’s new car and it is SO CUTE!

IMG_5217 The girls rode bikes for a little bit and Autumn was so excited that she got to ride Andrew’s bike so Brooke could ride hers.  Then Autumn wanted to get out the truck and drive around.  Tyler & Emily were going home and Caleb wanted a ride, so Brooke hopped in the back.  This picture cracks me up.  Brooke & Caleb wanted to try driving the truck before they had to go, so I made Autumn get out and she had a small melt down.  I put her on top of the garbage can to be in time out and so she wouldn’t keep going over to try and get in the truck.  She is so good 90% of the time and when she gets tired that 10% naughty comes out.  But, I guess we’re all that way to some degree and aren’t our best selves when we’re really tired.

IMG_5219 After everyone left, it was nice to have some quiet time.  Autumn & I went and laid on Mom & Dad’s bed to watch Jem for a little while.  I fell asleep for a little while b/c I had been up so late last night.  After a few episodes of Jem we went to watch some football.  Autumn had gotten this bouncing silly putty stuff in her white elephant gift and asked to play w/ it.  I let her play w/ it at the kitchen table.  She was really quiet and after about 5 minutes I heard her come out of the bathroom and say, “I’m sorry, Mama!”  I jumped up to see what trouble she had gotten herself into and tried not to freak out when she showed me this huge glob of silly putty in her hair.  I just laughed and got my camera and took a picture and then tried to get it out.  It wasn’t coming out, so I told her we would have to cut her hair, which was going to stink b/c it wasn’t down at the ends of her hair, it was closer to her scalp.  Mom said that the silly putty stuff said if it dries out to get it wet, so maybe if I got it really wet it would come out.  She’s a genius and it worked and I got it out w/out having to cut her long and pretty hair.

IMG_5229 We got tired of watching football (shocking I know) and decided to watch a movie.  We picked Sherlock Holmes and I forgot how good of a movie that is.  I can’t wait to see the 2nd one.  Autumn fell asleep about 20 minutes into the movie, and I just played w/ her hair and rubbed her face while she slept.  She’s so sweet and angelic when she’s asleep.  After the movie, it was 10:30 and we were all tired so we decided to just count down to midnight w/ the East Coast and have our New Year be at 11:00 our time.  We got out the sparkling cider and had to “frame” Autumn since she was asleep.  We’ve done that for the past few years w/ Andrew but he wasn’t here so we framed her instead.

IMG_5226We clinked our glasses when the ball in Time Square went down and toasted to a New Year.  I woke Autumn up and we came home.  In the past, I have tried to make it a personal tradition to watch The Last Holiday w/ Queen Latifah b/c I love her, I love that movie, it’s eerily close to my own life, and they have a New Year’s scene in the movie so I figure that counts as a New Year’s movie.  I watched that in my bed w/ Autumn b/c she was awake by this point.  At our real midnight we told each other Happy New Year, turned off the movie even though it was only 1/2 way through, and went to bed.  Here’s to 2012!

No comments: