CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 18, 2013

Another Meltdown Monday

P1090214 Today I feel like I had a MAJOR breakthrough as a Mom in the midst of Autumn having a MAJOR melt down.  After I picked her up from school, everything was great.  After dinner, everything was great.  When it was time to go home, I told her to put her shoes on and she chose to ignore me, so I waited for a minute and then just left and started walking out to the car.

In the past I would have told her multiple times and gotten angry and raised my voice until she listened.  But w/ this new parenting system I tell her once and then if she chooses not to listen, I take action and follow through w/ a consequence.  I went and got in the car and waited for her to come out to the car.  She got in and was having a fit.  I stayed calm and explained to her why I left.  I thought she was calming down, but once we got on the road she threw her coat at me.  I calmly told her that b/c she chose to throw her coat she lost her coat privileges and would have to go to coat tomorrow.  She started crying harder and got really mad and picked up the car air freshener and threw it at the front of the car.

I immediately pulled over into a subdivision and parked.  I told her that her behavior was unacceptable and that getting to ride in my car was a privilege.  If she chose to act like that and be unsafe to me and other cars by throwing things, that she would no longer have that privilege.  I was stern and spoke w/ power but I never lost my temper.  I also let her know that she had lost all of her points for the day and that she’ll have to earn them back.

Even though tonight would seem like a huge failure to most people b/c she had a major melt down, it was a huge success for me.  I didn’t get angry, we had a talk, and she understands what is expected of her.  I was totally prepared for this and expected it b/c she’s testing this new system.  I have to say that I’ve seen great improvement overall w/ her since I started listening to these parenting CD’s.

Tonight I went over to Christine’s to watch Bachelor w/ the girls.  I told them what had happened w/ Autumn tonight and it was so nice to hear their feedback.  They said I’m doing the right thing and that I’m a good Mom.  When I’m in the throes of hard times like this, it means so much to hear things like that.  So, I’ll just keep plugging along and take the 5% bad times for the 95% good times.

No comments: