CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday 2013

One of the GREATEST talks EVER about Easter and the Atonement is ”None Were With Him” by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland.  I especially thought this part was poignant:

“My other plea at Easter time is that these scenes of Christ’s lonely sacrifice, laced with moments of denial and abandonment and, at least once, outright betrayal, must never be reenacted by us. He has walked alone once. Now, may I ask that never again will He have to confront sin without our aid and assistance, that never again will He find only unresponsive onlookers when He sees you and me along His Via Dolorosa in our present day. As we approach this holy week—Passover Thursday with its Paschal Lamb, atoning Friday with its cross, Resurrection Sunday with its empty tomb—may we declare ourselves to be more fully disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, not in word only and not only in the flush of comfortable times but in deed and in courage and in faith, including when the path is lonely and when our cross is difficult to bear. This Easter week and always, may we stand by Jesus Christ “at all times and in all things, and in all places that [we] may be in, even until death,” for surely that is how He stood by us when it was unto death and when He had to stand entirely and utterly alone.”

SO POWERFUL!!!

IMG_9093 We got up this morning, had some breakfast, and then got ready for church.  Autumn wore this pretty yellow dress w/ gorgeous smocking on the top that I got at the kid’s consignment store a few months ago for $7!!!  She looked so “springy” in her Easter dress.  Church was wonderful today and I got teary eyed a few times b/c the Spirit was so strong.  The words of the hymn, “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” are exactly what I was feeling today:

I know that my Redeemer lives.
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead.
He lives, my ever-living Head.
He lives to bless me with his love.
He lives to plead for me above.
He lives my hungry soul to feed.
He lives to bless in time of need.

He lives to grant me rich supply.
He lives to guide me with his eye.
He lives to comfort me when faint.
He lives to hear my soul's complaint.
He lives to silence all my fears.
He lives to wipe away my tears.
He lives to calm my troubled heart.
He lives all blessings to impart.

He lives, my kind, wise heav'nly Friend.
He lives and loves me to the end.
He lives, and while he lives, I'll sing.
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.
He lives and grants me daily breath.
He lives, and I shall conquer death.
He lives my mansion to prepare.
He lives to bring me safely there.

He lives! All glory to his name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same.
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
"I know that my Redeemer lives!"

IMG_9106 After church, we came home and Autumn put on this new outfit & shoes that the Easter bunny hid for her.  She looked so cute!

IMG_9111 We went over to Mom & Dad’s for lunch, and Mom had fixed a turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, and stuffing.  The reason we had turkey instead of ham is b/c Curt killed 2 of his turkeys b/c they were causing too many problems and he gave one to us!  Mom went to get it ready for cooking and had to have Dad come help her b/c the neck, stomach, and everything were still inside the turkey!  She got queasy and freaked out and made Dad come clean it out.  She said it was like doing an autopsy!  The Monzingos came by after church so I could see Bro. Monzingo’s “Safari Bob” look.  He had grown out his hair and beard for the Book of Mormon Pageant, too.  I just love the Monzingos so much!  They are “salt of the earth” type people.

IMG_9112 Autumn & I went in Mom & Dad’s room b/c she wanted to play Fire Boy & Water Girl on their computer w/ me.  We had fun and kept laughing b/c we stunk at the game and kept dying and having to redo the same level over and over.  Curt & Mary came over to try out their turkey, and Dad had Curt sit down at the kitchen table so he could remove the 3 stitches he put in Curt’s head last week when Curt cut it open on accident!  It’s not uncommon to see scenes like this around our house.  It’s a good thing we have strong stomachs (except for Mom, who refuses to watch).

IMG_9117 We spent the rest of the evening just relaxing and talking and watching TV.  We were getting ready to go when Mom said she had something for Autumn.  She ran upstairs and brought down this AMAZING bassinet that she had crocheted.  You can also take the ribbon, pull it together, and it turns into a purse!  Aunt Jeri showed Mom how to make them when she was here last year, and Mom made one for Autumn.

IMG_9116 Autumn LOVES it and played w/ it all night.  She thought she was ultra Fancy Nancy when she put her hand sanitizer in the bassinet w/ the baby, pulled the ribbons up into a purse, and put it on her shoulder to walk out to the car.  What a neat handmade gift from Mimi!

We got home and I put Autumn to bed and was able to watch the last hour of “The Bible” finale.  I was glad they didn’t just send w/ Christ’s death & resurrection, but that they showed what happened after that.  It was incredibly well done and a great way to end a spiritual Easter Sunday.

No comments: