CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 6, 2014

General Conference Sunday & A Talk Of Understanding

IMG_1443 We slept in this morning, relaxed for a while, got cleaned up, and then went over to Mom & Dad’s to watch conference.  It was glorious to wake up to the sound of rumbling thunder & rain this morning.  It’s one of my favorite things.  I had to snap a quick pick of all these rain droplets clinging to the blooming wisteria.

IMG_1445 The morning session of conference was so great.  After the first session, we got busy putting together lunch.  We had Maggie’s corn bean salsa, rib eye fajitas w/ all the fixin’s.  It was so good & we were all stuffed.  But, we definitely had enough room left for dessert (Tropical Delight Cake).

IMG_1452 It was pretty hard to keep our eyes open during the 2nd session b/c our tummies were full & there was a light rain outside.  I’m proud of Mom & Dad for staying awake since they were suffering big time from jet lag.  This picture just makes me so happy b/c our spiritual cups were overflowing, and what is better than being w/ family and friends who are just like family.  We’re so glad to have Papa & Mimi home safe & sound!!!

IMG_2864Autumn & I came home soon after conference was over so that she could be loud & have fun and run around if she wanted.  I am so proud of her for sitting through so many hours of conference & being good.  She has been up an hour past her bedtime the past few nights, so I figured I would be sneaky & move the clock ahead 30 minutes so she would go to bed early b/c I could tell she needed the extra sleep.  I told her to start getting ready for bed at the “new” 7':58 when Once Upon A Time went to commercial, and you would have thought I told her the worst news in the world.  She started freaking out & yelling about how I treat her like a baby & that she’s not putting up w/ this type of treatment.  I calmly went in her room to help her get ready for bed.

She was NOT happy & after I went back into the living room I heard her in there just venting big time.  Once she had calmed down, I went in & we ended up having a great 30 minute chat.  Come to find out, she was upset that I was making her get ready for bed 2 minutes early, she didn’t even know I had moved the clock ahead.  We talked about how next time she can handle things a little better by just talking about why she’s upset instead of just freaking out.  I told her that I was trying to teach her these things now so that when she’s older & has a job she’ll know how to handle crummy things that happen instead of just going off & losing her job.  I explained to her that when I try to correct or help her that I’m trying to teach her life skills & that I’m not out to be mean or upset her.

It was one of those talks that made me feel closer to her when we were done.  There was a lot of listening, sharing how things make us feel, and understanding.  I’d count that as a win for both of us.  I for sure have my share of parenting fails, so this one felt good!

No comments: