CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Such A Special Day

IMG_3366 Today was a very special day.  We had a nice big breakfast of sausage, hash browns, & French toast.  Then at 11:00 we went to the funeral home so the sisters could dress Rufio.  I do NOT like dead bodies, b/c they creep me out so I opted to stay upstairs and wait for Aunt Jeri, who was on her way there.  Mom came up and told me that Rufio’s nails were really grown out and they needed some fingernail polish.  So, I rushed to the closest grocery store and got some and brought it back.  Aunt Jeri & I walked in at the same time.  I decided it was more important that I document these precious moments than being worried about Rufio’s body, so I went in the room and kept my distance and snapped pictures (the sisters wanted me to).  I adore this picture of all their hands.

Just like when I got to help dress my best friend Tara, this was a very special and sacred experience.  The guy at the funeral home that was helping us was beyond wonderful and went out of his way to make things nice.  There happened to be a piano in the room and whey they were done taking care of Rufio, Aunt Jill sat down and played a beautiful arrangement of “I Am A Child Of God” and the tears flowed freely.  I am so touched and humbled to have been allowed to be there and watch as these 4 amazing women served their Mother in such a tender and loving way.

IMG_3412 By this time it was 12:30, so we met the guys for lunch at Joe Vera’s.  The food was excellent, and we enjoyed being together and talking and laughing.

IMG_5505 After lunch, the sisters needed to go to Uncle Rick’s shop and print off some sheet music for the funeral.  I took the rental car and went up to BYU.  It's a little trippy to take a walk down memory lane and think that I graduated from here 13 years ago!!! I had to come get a mint brownie at the Wilkinson Center for old times sake.  I also stopped by the bookstore and got a few Christmas presents and some BYU earrings for myself.

IMG_5514 Then I walked over to the BYU Creamery on 9th to get some “squeaky cheese” (cheese curd).  I walked back to the visitors parking and drove down to my old dorm room where I lived as a Freshman and then as a Resident’s Assistant.  So many floods of memories came back as I walked around the campus.  I’m thankful for my 4 years at this great college.  I made some life long friends there, and also was able to get an education.

IMG_3415 On my way home I passed Midge’s house and saw Aunt Jeri’s car there, so I stopped to say hi.  Midge’s sister, Mary (the one in the front w/ the snowmen on her blue shirt), had flown in for Rufio’s funeral but she didn’t know the funeral isn’t until Friday so she’ll end up missing it.  She wanted to say hi to the girls.  We had to snap a picture together.

Jana, Christine, Mom, Me, Jill, Jeri
Midge, Mary, Peggy

IMG_3418 Mary wanted a picture of the 4 girls together.  Jana said, “only from the waist up.”  I said, “chest up” and at the same time all 4 girls stood up straight and stuck out their chests.  We laughed SO HARD, b/c that wasn’t what I had meant but they had all done it in unison.  This picture of them just cracking up makes me so happy.

IMG_5520 We came home and just had left overs for dinner and the sisters finalized the funeral program details and then went into Rufio’s apartment to start going through some of her things.  I just edited pics, blogged, and watched TV w/ Uncle Rick & Uncle Keith.  Dad & Nate got back from their day of skiing/snowboarding.

ski Isn’t this view just gorgeous?  I’m so glad that Dad & Uncle Wes were able to do something together that they both love so much.  What a special day!!!

No comments: