CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

I love General Conference

When I was younger, we used to have to get dressed up and go to the church building for General Conference. It was kind of a tradition that during the Sunday break between sessions, we would go take pictures in the bluebonnets along the side of the road in the spring. We usually wouldn't watch the Saturday sessions, b/c we were young kids and couldn't sit still that long. But, now that I'm older and thanks to technology, I can watch conference from home in my jammies lounging on the couch.


Autumn was such a cuddle bug this morning and sat and rocked with me for a while. Notice all of her babies she had to bring with her.


Notice how Nathan (the baby of our family) reverted back to his childhood days, also. He went and sat on Mom's lap and told her to rock him. I love the look on her face, it's like she's thinking, "Why can't they just stay small and sweet and innocent and quiet?"


I actually listened to all of Saturday's 2 sessions and both of the sessions on Sunday, too. I do have to admit I dozed a little during the Saturday afternoon session, but it was the same speaker when I dozed and woke up, so it was just a few minutes. My favorite talk was by Russell M Nelson and the "Patterns of the Shopper." He talked about wise shoppers that study their purchases ahead of time and focus on the quality and durability of the product. Other shoppers look for bargains or splurge. Then there are those that steal what they want. He then related that to marriage. A couple in love can choose love of the highest quality, a lesser type that will not endure, or they "steal" what they want and are "marital shoplifters." I loved these quotes:

  • "While salvation is an individual matter, exaltation is a family matter."

  • "[Marriage] will succeed if each partner will minimize personal demands and maximize actions of loving selflessness."

  • "Harmony in marriage comes only when one esteems the welfare of his our her spouse among the highest of priorities."

  • "If a lesser choice [than celestial marriage] has previously been made, a choice can now be made to upgrade it to the best choice. That requires a mighty change of heart and a permanent personal upgrade. Blessings so derived are worth all efforts made."


Monzingos came over and watched conference with us. Maggie made roast, carrots, and potatoes. We had rolls and dessert. It was SO YUMMY! As you can tell, not too many of them were awake for the 2nd Sunday session. It's so hard to stay awake when you have a full and happy tummy.

I wasn't able to go to the Relief Society General Broadcast, and I just realized that they don't publish it in the conference edition of the Ensign! They publish the Young Women's meeting, but not the Relief Society one. Why is that??? So, I went online today and read Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. It was entitled Happiness, Your Heritage. It was SO GOOD, he is hilarious, and it was exactly what I needed to read! I was very uplifted over the past 2 days! I can't wait to get my conference edition of the Ensign so I can re-read the talks and mark up my Ensign w/ notes and highlight the things that stood out to me.

3 comments:

Just a Italian Girl said...

I love conference too. It always makes for a great weekend to be spiritual rejuvenated!

Holly said...

you are right! general conference was awesome!! not only does pres. uchtdorf speak well he's pretty cute too!! haha. :)

Susannah said...

They publish the RS meeting in Nov and the YW in May.