CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving 2009

IMG_0263 This morning we got up and had breakfast together and then packed up in the car and headed out to Aunt Sandy & Uncle Robert’s to celebrate Thanksgiving. As soon as we got there, we wanted to take our family pictures so that way the kids could go play and get dirty and it wouldn’t matter. This was one of the ones we took, but it was way too bright and everyone was squinting.

IMG_0284 So, we moved over to this bench, but the lighting wasn’t working either. Everyone was in shadows except for Nate.

IMG_0324 I wanted to practice using my camera so Lex & Jon let me take some pics of their family. I won’t post the good ones on here but this one made me laugh b/c you can tell in this pic that Andrew is DONE taking pictures!

IMG_0335 We got a few pictures of Autumn & I as well. This was a cute one of Autumn saying, “Get out of here.” She is definitely one of the things that I am most thankful for this Thanksgiving.

IMG_0392 After we stuffed ourselves full of 2 different types of turkey and 2 different types of mashed potatoes and gravy and stuffing and yams and 2 types of salads, it was time to watch football and take naps (for the adults) and then the kids went to the farm to play. This one of Caleb & Autumn & Shane in the little corral is so cute.

IMG_0394 Then they went and climbed on the fence and I loved it that Autumn got right up there w/ the boys. Isn’t Shane’s hat so farmish and boyish?

IMG_0399

IMG_0405I was trying to say silly things to get the kids to smile for me. I said, “Eww…stinky bummies,” and Shane turned around and actually showed me his bummy. He’s such a funny kid and is 100% pure little boy. Then Autumn decided to make silly faces and start yelling.

IMG_0401

IMG_0402 What a cutie!

IMG_0411After feeding the cows and climbing on the fence, the kids climbed into the back of the truck and we drove over to the chicken coop.

IMG_0415

IMG_0433Autumn “found” an egg that one of the hens had laid in the coop. After feeding the chickens and discovering eggs all the grandkids took off to play on the dirt hill. They did that for a good 30-45 minutes. They would climb up it and get rocks and go throw them in the pond and then get more and chase each other around. Us adults that had gone to the farm were talking about how much fun the kids were having w/ just being able to run around and be outside. Too often these days we think that kids need to have the latest and greatest movies and gadgets and toys. When in reality they really don’t need all that. These 5 kids had such an enjoyable time w/ just a pile of dirt and some rocks and sticks. It’s good to remember that most often the simplest things are the best.

IMG_0457 After playing at the farm, we went back to the house to have some pie. I think we had 8 different kinds of pie, plus the 2 different type of pumpkin bars that I brought. We for sure feasted this Thanksgiving. The lighting was better in the afternoon, so we went back out to try and get a family picture. While Nate was over getting into position for the pictures, Andrew went over and sat by Courtney. We were laughing and joking that Andrew was moving in on Nate’s woman! Andrew knows a pretty girl when he sees one.

IMG_0461 The pictures this time were better as far as lighting goes, but we still didn’t get a good one. The kids were just too tired by this point and didn’t want to smile or pose for the camera.

IMG_0469 Here’s a funny one of Aunt Sandy’s family…look at Tyler & Zack pretending to kiss Uncle Robert.

IMG_0476 Here’s a group picture of everyone that was there (except Grandpa Asay who they had to take back to the nursing home b/c he wasn’t feeling very well). We missed having Kerry & Carmen & the kids this year. We had a good time, though, and enjoyed being together.

IMG_0483 Here’s Nate & Courtney in their matching Cowboys jersey shirts. We watched most of the game on TV and then left in the middle of the 4th quarter so we could get past the stadium before the game let out so we didn’t have to sit in traffic.

IMG_0452 This was how pretty much everyone looked in the car on the ride home. I think is the best kind of sleep to have…the exhausted and worn out kind b/c you’ve had so much fun during the day kind!

As I do every Thanksgiving, I like to reflect on all that I’m blessed with. Grandma Johnson fell and broke her ankle and was in the hospital, which made me so sad. I know it’s hard for her (and Grandma Ruth) to get older and not be able to do the things they used to do. I’m thankful for them (and also Grandpa Johnson & Grandpa Jay) and that they were all such good parents to my parents so that they could be good parents to me so that I could be a good Mom to Autumn. I have such a rich legacy of great people in my family.

I am thankful for good health and the ability to walk and see and breathe and hear. I know that sounds trite, but it’s so true. I am thankful that I have a place to work that I enjoy going to. I am thankful that I have a nice warm place to sleep and food to eat. This Thanksgiving I’ve really tried to think about the blessings that I take for granted and really focus on them and how lucky I am.

I’m also incredibly thankful for my family. I know everyone says that, but I really am. We are so close knit and get to spend a lot of time together. I can think of a list of wonderful things that I love and appreciate about each family member. Being a Mom to Autumn is one of the greatest blessings in my life. She is a joy to me every single day and helps make my life complete.

The thing that I’m the most grateful for this year and every year really is being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am grateful to have a full and complete knowledge of the gospel that Jesus Christ himself taught and lived while on this Earth. I am so lucky to have the knowledge that families can be together forever. It makes me so happy to know that we have a living prophet on the Earth today that is the Noah and Moses of OUR time! I am thankful that I was baptized and that if I live up to the covenants I’ve made that I can have eternal life. I am eternally grateful to know that Heavenly Father loved me enough to send His Son to live on Earth and set the example for me and then that Jesus was willing to lay down His life for my sake so that when I make mistakes (and I’ve for sure made my share of them and will make more I’m sure) that I can repent and ask for forgiveness and can have a chance to be better and improve myself.

I hope everyone today was able to reflect on all the amazing things (both big and small) that they have been given. We truly have every single reason in the world to be THANKful, even for our hardships b/c they help us to grow and learn lessons. I hope everyone was able to have an attitude of gratitude.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

No comments: