CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011

IMG_0368 Today we didn’t really sleep in, which I guess is a good way to start the New Year.  I got up and got ready for the day and then took Autumn over to Mom & Dad’s.  Dad got out his new Texas shaped waffle maker to make waffles for the kids.  I left Autumn there and went for a little drive.

IMG_0393 A few weeks ago, Mou’s sister had asked me if I would take family pictures for them.  I was honored that she would ask, but also worried b/c I am so far from being a professional photographer.  We were going to take them at the temple grounds, but it was below freezing, plus the temple grounds were closed b/c of the holiday.  So, we just took pictures that the church building.  We found a spot in the Relief Society room that would work and I started clicking away.

IMG_0624 There are just a few of the 300 plus pictures that I took.  I loved this one of Tianalei and her new baby sister.

IMG_0737 I’m not very happy with this group shot, b/c I was using my 50 mm lens and should have switched it out for my wider lens so I could get more of the kids sitting on the floor, but it is what it is.  I also need someone to teach me how to use Photoshop Elements to take out that little box up in the left hand corner.  Any feedback or input on what I can do better next time is welcomed and appreciated.

It was a good learning experience for me and really pushed me out of my comfort zone to feel such a big responsibility of taking someone’s family pictures.  I feel bad we couldn’t find a better background, b/c that door looks horrible but I can’t fix it now.  I learned a lot and am still honored that they trusted me enough to take their family pictures.  I am proud of myself, though b/c I shot it mostly on the AV setting so we could get a lot of natural light and not use the flash.  That was a big step for me.  Hopefully I can keep learning and getting better and develop it as a talent.

I left after an hour and had a little bit of time to kill, so I went to WalMart to see if they had any good after Christmas sales.  I was really disappointed b/c there were no toys on sale or any deals.  So, I sat at a table in McDonald’s and just browsed through the pictures from the photo shoot and deleted the really bad ones where they were too blurry or where someone’s eyes were closed.

IMG_0750 I left and went to meet Liz & Liberty and Alison & Braulio at Chili’s for lunch.  Liz & Liberty are such great people and are so funny yet down to Earth.  I know I’m going to have a good time anytime I’m around them.  After eating, Liberty wanted to try the white chocolate molten cake.  It was pretty good.

IMG_0752 The best part, however, was getting to see Alison & Braulio.  They moved to Utah but were back in Texas to visit family for the holidays.  They had called and said they wanted to get together while they were in town.  Alison is TOO CUTE w/ her pregnant belly & it was WONDERFUL to catch up with them and see what’s been going on with them since they left.  They are such good friends and I’m so happy for them and that they are doing so well in Utah, but I miss them.

Liberty got the hamburger sliders but didn’t finish them all and had one left but forgot to ask for a to-go box, so he just wrapped it up in a napkin and took it w/ him (that’s why Liz is pointing to it and making that face).  She told him to just throw it away but he insisted on taking it w/ him.

IMG_0779 I got back to Mom & Dad’s and Autumn told me the second I walked in that she had a big boo boo.  Mom said she had gone running down the driveway b/c she was outside helping him take down Christmas lights and she fell and scraped her knee pretty bad.

IMG_0754 She was whiny and clingy for 30 minutes and she sat down next to me on the couch and next thing I know, she was out like a light.  She fell asleep on me w/ her hand up over her nose.  I love it when she’s snuggly like this.

IMG_0757 After a while, I had to get up and go to the bathroom so Dad came and took her from me b/c he loves it when she’ll snuggle w/ him, which isn’t very often anymore.  They stayed in the overstuffed chair for a few hours while we watched football and he was loving every minute of it.

IMG_0759 Mom went in to practice the new Primary song for this year, since she plays the piano in Junior Primary.  Autumn decided to go in and “help” her practice.  It’s a pretty song and I went in and sang the words and Autumn wanted me to dance w/ her.

IMG_0765 Travis Pickup (yes, that’s his real last name), Nate & Nick hung out at the house for a while.  We introduced Travis to ling lings (Asian pot stickers) and fried rice b/c we had those for dinner and he LOVED them.  I was laughing at them b/c Nick put his hand on Nate’s chest.  So silly.  I didn’t realize it, but it was already 9:30, so I took Autumn home and we went to bed.

It was a great way to spend the first day of 2011…doing something outside of my comfort zone, spending time with great friends, and making memories with family.

No comments: