CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 3, 2011

One Little Word

olw For those of you who don’t know what the One Little Word (OLW) is all about, you can read about it here on Ali Edward’s blog
My word for 2008 was “Happiness”.
My word for 2009 was “Change”.
My word for 2010 was “Acceptance”.

I have been thinking for the past few weeks about what my word for 2011 should be.  Usually my word just comes to me and picks me, I don’t really pick it.  Here are some words that I thought about picking, but none of them really jumped out to me:

purpose
talent
possibilities
intentional
try
celebrate
stretch
memories
growth
future/forward

Today on my way home from breakfast w/ Mou, I was listening to a CD that I had made a few months ago.  Usually I just listen to 4 of the songs on the CD, but for some reason this time I started in the middle and decided to listen to all of the songs.  When song #15 on my self-made CD came on, tears instantly formed in my eyes and started rolling down my cheeks.  And at that point, I knew I had found my word (actually it’s a phrase) for 2011….

WALK ON THE WATER TOO

You look around and staring back at you
Another wave of doubt will pull you under
You wonder
What if I'm overtaken?
What if I never make it?
What if no one's there?
Will you hear my prayer?
When you take that first step
Into the unknown
You know that He won't let you go

So what are you waiting for?
What do you have to lose?
Your insecurities
They try to hold to (I thought she said “alter”, which is also fitting) you
But you know you're made for more
So don't be afraid to move
Your faith is all it takes
And you can walk on the water too

So get out and let your fear fall to the ground
No time to waste, don't wait
And don't you turn around, and miss out on
Everything you were made for
Gotta be, I know you're not sure, more
So you play it safe, you try to run away
If you take that first step
Into the unknown
He won't let you go

So what are you waiting for?
What do you have to lose?
Your insecurities
They try to hold to you
But you know you're made for more
So don't be afraid to move
Your faith is all it takes
And you can walk on the water too

Step out even when it's storming
Step out even when you're broken
Step out even when your heart is telling you, telling you to give up
Step out even when your hope is stolen
Step out you can't see where you're going
Don't have to be afraid
So what are you waiting what are you waiting for?

So what are you waiting for?
What do you have to lose?
Your insecurities
They try to hold to you
But you know you're made for more
So don't be afraid to move
Your faith is all it takes
And you can walk on the water too

I first heard this song when it was on the Biggest Loser last season and I fell in love with it right away and bought it on iTunes.  I’ve listened to it quite a few times since then, but it’s never had that type of impact on me before.

At first I thought there is no way I can use the phrase “walk on water” as my focus for 2011, b/c when most people use that phrase they use it in a negative way. Such as, “she’s so full of herself she thinks she can walk on water.” But when I add the words “the” and “too”, it completely changes the meaning (at least for me it does).

I of course looked up everything I could on the internet about the phrase, and I found a clip of Britt Nicole explaining the meaning behind the song.  It’s about when Peter asks Christ if he can walk on the water, just like Christ was doing.  I never meant for my phrase to get all spiritual and turn into a Sunday School lesson, but it kind of evolved into that on its own with the more research I did, so I went with it.

There are so many good things in the 13 verses that describe what happened, and so I am going to dissect each verse over the course of the year b/c it’s just way too much to put into one blog post. Plus, that way it will help me to stay focused on my OLW for the whole year.

As I looked on the internet, I found the picture below by David Bowman on his website and I LOVE the picture and it meant even more when I read what he wrote about the picture (see below).

Come Come.
One simple word spoken to Peter when he asked if he, too, could walk on the water with Christ (Matthew 14). Jesus invited his friend to Come. Come and do the impossible. And the amazing thing is ... Peter did it! He actually walked on water! This piece captures that poignant moment between these two men: Jesus encouraging Peter, hand out-stretched, smiling at the faith of his disciple. Peter determined, full of trust, his eyes completely focused on the Master. In our lives, we have times when we are asked to “do the impossible” so to speak. Bear a burden, weather a trial, overcome an addiction, wage our personal wars. Christ reminds us that ALL things are possible when we keep our eyes and our hearts focused on Him.
Simply ... Come.

For those who may not be religious, my phrase for this year means that no matter what comes my way, I am going to have the courage to face it. It’s about getting out of my comfort zone and taking risks and embracing new challenges and conquering fear.  I am so excited to have such a powerful and moving thing to focus on for this year.

What is your word (or phrase) for 2011?

No comments: