CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Walk On The Water Too #1

I decided I need to blog about my first Walk On The Water, Too (WOTWT). Each month I’m going to share something I’ve learned about my phrase I’ve picked from this year.

A little bit of history of what happened right before the verses below is that John the Baptist had just been beheaded, Jesus & the 12 Apostles were trying to find somewhere to be alone and grieve when the multitudes found them and Jesus preformed the miracle of feeding 5,000 men (not including all the women & children) with 5 loaves and 2 fishes. They also had 12 baskets full of food that were left over. Anyways, here are the verses from Matthew Chapter 14:

22) And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.

23) And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

Even though Jesus was the Savior of the world, He took time to be alone and to be out in nature where He could ponder and pray. He only lived 33 short years on the Earth and probably had the very most to accomplish out of anyone that has ever lived. But, He knew how important it was to have quiet time to feel the Spirit and have personal communication with His Father in Heaven.

There is an excellent talk given by Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi of the Quorum of the Seventy, entitled Opening The Heavens. He talks about this very thing. We all need to find somewhere peaceful and quiet each day where we can turn down the volume of the world and turn up the volume of spiritual things. I know we are all busy and have so much going on. Sometimes I find that the only time I get is 5 minutes on my drive to work when I turn off the radio. Or b/c I’ve had some down time at work, I took my scriptures and have been able to read a few chapters while at work. But even 5 minutes is better than nothing for me. I need to make time for the important things in life, like recharging my spiritual battery every day. If Jesus needed to do that, and He set the example for us in all things, then I also need to do the same.

Anyways, just something for me to think about as part of my WOTWT for the year.

No comments: