CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Conference Saturday

P1020052 Darn my internal time clock! It doesn’t know that it’s Saturday and that I can sleep in and don’t have to wake up at 7:30. It was even naughty and woke me up at 7:16 today, and even though I tried I wasn’t able to go back to sleep. I got up quietly hoping that Autumn would stay asleep, but she must have felt me get out of bed and woke up to see where I was going. So, we went in the living room and she wanted to watch Tangled. I made toast and eggs for breakfast and then Dad emerged from his room all dressed and ready to work so we went outside w/ him. Autumn found this scooter and never figured out how to go fast on it. But, she had fun just slowly inching along the driveway.

P1020061Dad wanted to plant some bushes along the garden fence where he and Gilberto took out the dead trees. So, Autumn & I helped him w/ that. He would dig the whole and then Autumn & I would take the bush out of the pot and put it in the hole. Then Papa would tell Autumn to put water on it w/ a gleam in his eye, b/c he knew the water bucket was way too heavy for her. She would try to lift it but couldn’t and would say, “Papa, you help me?”

P1020057 Another way Autumn got to help was to hold the hose to fill up the bucket when it ran out of water. The water is so blue b/c Dad put some special plant growing stuff in it.

P1020065Autumn’s least favorite job was to take roots that Papa came across while digging the holes, over to the wheelbarrow to be thrown away. She would hold the smallest part of the roots between her fingers and hold it out like it was a dead rat or something.

garden I wonder if she’s taking after her Mama? LOL! This picture just makes me laugh b/c that look on my face is priceless. I wish I hadn’t been such a priss back in the day. Oh, well. I’ve learned and grown and now don’t freak out if my hands get dirty. I’ve learned hands and clothes can be washed and hope Autumn has lots of opportunities to get dirty.

P1020071 Autumn & I wanted to plant these bachelor button seeds that Liz gave Mom for fixing the zipper on her jeans. So, after we helped Dad plant the bushes we went and planted the seeds. It was funny b/c I was just wearing one of Mom’s house coats that I found in the laundry room while we were out there planting bushes and flower seeds. That is why I am the one behind the camera instead of in front of it.

P1020072I made Autumn go stand under this pretty archway full of wisteria leaves. I didn’t know that there are male and female wisteria plants. The female plants are the ones that get the pretty flowers and the male plants get lots of green leaves but no flowers. Either way, I think this archway is so charming.

P1020075 Here are Autumn & Dad putting the little bachelor button seeds in the little furrow they dug. I’m excited to see what the flowers look like when they grow and bloom. Mom said bachelor buttons are some of her favorite flowers, and I had never even heard of them before.

P1020078After that, Dad loaded Autumn in the wheelbarrow and gave her a ride over to the lot. He threw away the tree roots and then took the left over dirt and filled in a little hole that was on the lot. Not many kids can say they got a wheelbarrow ride from their Papa.

P1020080 I had to take a picture of these pretty roses in our neighbor’s yard. They had droplets of water on them and were such a bright pink.

P1020081 The trumpet vine along their fence is full of buds and they look like they’re about ready to burst at any second. I’ll have to remember to go over and look at them tomorrow to see if they’ve bloomed.

P1020082 The wisteria on the garden fence are already starting to wither and wilt. I went over to smell them and enjoy the fragrance while I still can. I noticed this one stem was COVERED in little aphids and ants. All of those little black spots are aphids. So gross, huh? Oh, well. I guess it’s the circle of life.

P1020086 Autumn wanted to get out the sidewalk chalk and had Papa draw her a house in the driveway. Then she proceeded to color in the roof while he went and mowed the grass in the pool area. I sat on one of the medical exam tables in the garage and watched her sit and draw w/ the chalk in the driveway.

P1020089 After that, we came in the house to watch the first session of General Conference. Dad helped to keep Autumn quiet and entertained by helping her do puzzles. There were 2 talks that I really liked. The first one was by Kent F. Richards of the Quorum of the 70. He was the stake president when Jason & I were married and living up at the U of U. He was the one that did my gall bladder surgery when I was 16 weeks pregnant w/ Autumn. He is an incredible man and I really liked what he had to say about pain, especially since b/c of the circumstances of my life at the time I knew Elder Richards. Here are some things he said that really stood out to me:



  • “I learned that the physical pain and the healing of the body after major surgery are remarkably similar to the spiritual pain and the healing of the soul in the process of repentance. Much of our suffering is not necessarily our fault. Unexpected events, contradicting or disappointing circumstances…surround us and penetrate our mortal experience. Additionally, we may suffer afflictions b/c of the actions of others.”
  • “He [Jesus] could have known how to succor us simply by revelation, but He chose to learn by His own personal experience.”
  • He quoted Dallin H. Oaks and said, “Healing blessings come in many ways, each suited to our individual needs, as known to Him who loves us best. Sometimes a healing cures our illness or lifts our burden, but sometimes we are healed by being given strength or understanding or patience to bear the burdens placed upon us.”

Elder Quentin L. Cook spoke about the strength & faith of pioneer and modern Latter-Day Saint women. Here are a few things he said that really stuck a cord with me:

  • “Our women are not incredible b/c they have managed to avoid the difficulties of life; quite the opposite. They are incredible b/c of the way they face the trials of life.”
  • “You devoted sisters who are single parents for whatever reason, our hearts reach out to you with appreciation. Prophets have made it clear that many hands stand ready to help you. The Lord is not unmindful of you. Neither is His church.”
  • “You valiant and faithful single sisters please know that we love and appreciate you and assure you that no eternal blessing will be withheld from you.”

P1020092 After conference, I went and got my nails done. Binh is a miracle worker and was able to fix the nail of my right middle finger that was snapped in half. After he was done, I ran over to the kid’s consignment store and found this cute dress for Autumn for only $3.50! (Autumn loved it so much that when she put it on she stood in front of the fan and was doing some model poses). Next I stopped at WalMart and got some groceries so Mom & I could make Maggie’s bean salsa so Dad & Nick could take it to a pot luck tonight before Priesthood session. While helping Mom make the bean salsa I watched the last 1/2 of the afternoon session of conference.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave an amazing talk about the importance of desire and I particularly liked what he said about temple marriage, b/c that’s something that I really desire.

  • “All should desire and seriously work to secure a marriage for eternity. Those who already have a temple marriage should do all they can to preserve it. Those who are single should desire a temple marriage and exert priority efforts to obtain it.”
    • I have tried to do this by going to the temple twice a month and attending the single adult conferences. I don’t go to all the firesides and dances that are out there b/c I get such little time w/ Autumn.
  • “Both men and women need righteous desires that will lead them to eternal life. Let us remember that desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. In addition, it is our actions and our desires that cause us to become something.”

After conference we put the avocados and tomatoes in the bean salsa and got Nick & Dad out the door to their potluck dinner before Priesthood session. Mom & I just vegged on the couch and watched How Do I Look, Say Yes To The Dress, etc. Autumn was doing puzzles and then got upset b/c I tried to help her and she didn’t want my help but then she did and couldn’t decide what she wanted. So, she went in Nate’s room to sulk and ended up falling asleep at 7:30 b/c she was so tired.

Dad & Nick stopped at Cheddar’s and got dessert after the Priesthood session and then came home. We watched the news and a cool thing on the History channel about the deepest building foundations, deepest roots of a plant and deepest hotel room in the world. It’s 11:30 and we’re calling it a night and are going to bed. I’m so excited to have another spiritual feast tomorrow while listening to conference.

No comments: