CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

“Well Done, Sister Suffragettes”

P1080418 This morning Autumn started coughing a lot when she woke up.  She was so achy and tired from all the coughing last night.  She begged to not have to go to school and go over to Papa & Mimi’s.  So I told her she had to call and ask them if they could watch her.  Dad had meetings he had to go to, but Mimi said she could watch her.  So, we got ready, I called my boss to tell him I was going to be a little late, and then took her over to Mom & Dad’s.  I’m SO THANKFUL for them and all they do for us.  Mom made this AWESOME Marine quilt for one of the families that is watching over/taking care of Nate in Japan.  Mom is so stinkin’ talented!

P1080420 Work was good today b/c it was steady busy but not crazy busy.  I left early so I could go vote.  This guy was standing on the corner while I was stopped at a red light and I had to get a picture of him.  He was running up and down the sidewalk waving his signs and American flag.  I couldn’t hear what he was saying, but he would stop and look up at the sky and start yelling stuff.  At least he’s passionate about it!

P1080422 This was the best voting experience I’ve ever had.  I looked on my county’s website and they had a list of places to vote w/ a green, yellow, or red circle next to that location.  That indicated if there was a minimum wait, medium wait, or long wait.  I was shocked to see that one of the voting places was in a hotel lobby!  So, I stopped by there b/c it had a green circle.  There was NO line and I just walked right in, filled out an updated address card, got my card, stuck it into the voting machine and cast my vote.  It took less than 2 minutes total!  Love that!

votes I tried to do early voting one day but the line was out the building and I didn’t have time to wait b/c I had to go get Autumn from daycare.  So, I had honestly thought about not voting b/c the majority of Texas votes Republican anyways so I knew my vote wouldn’t make a huge difference.  But then I saw this picture and quickly changed my mind.  Women fought so hard to even have the right to vote that I couldn’t just be passé about it.  I am a strong & independent woman & I’m glad I exercised my right to vote.  The whole time I was walking into the hotel I was singing this song in my head from Mary Poppins:

We’re clearly soldiers in petticoats. 
Dauntless crusaders for women’s votes. 
Though we adore men individually,
We agree that as a group they’re rather stupid.

Cast of the shackles of yesterday.
Shoulder to shoulder into the fray.
Our daughters’ daughters will adore us,
And they’ll sing in grateful chorus,
’Well done, Sister Suffragettes.’

P1080423 And, as if it were a thank you gift from those suffragettes, there was this GOREGOUS hibiscus flower outside the hotel on the way to my car.  How did they know tropical flowers are my favorites?  I didn’t just vote for a potential president of the United States, I voted for women.  I think someday the saying, “VOTES FOR WOMEN” will take on a whole new meaning when we have a woman candidate.  So I say, “well done, Sister Suffragettes.”

P1080433Autumn was asleep when I got to Mom & Dad’s, and I’m glad she was able to get some rest b/c her tired little body needed it.  Mom made chicken spaghetti and it was super good.  We relaxed and watched some TV and then Autumn & I came home so we could get some things done.  I loaded the dishwasher and went to start it, and it wouldn’t start!  It’s broken.  So, I had to wash my dishwasher full of dishes by hand.  It’s been a long time since I’ve done that.  Usually I would internally whine & feel sorry for myself.  But, I did it cheerfully tonight b/c I thought of all the people on the East Coast that are still w/out power and clean water and how they would be so happy to just have the ability to do something simple like washing the dishes.  My thoughts & prayers go out to them, especially w/ the Nor'easter that’s going to be hitting them w/ snow and more rain.

Nick got home from work and we stayed up to see who won the election.  I was SO SAD that Romney didn’t win, but I thought his concession speech was eloquent and excellent.  I was so tired and couldn’t keep my eyes open 1/2 way through Obama’s speech, so I closed them for just a second.  Next thing I know, it’s 2 hours later and I’m asleep on the couch, so I went and climbed in bed.

No comments: