CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 14, 2012

Fighting Back The Tears Friday

P1080689 We caught silly Rosy Posy stuck in our Christmas candy jar this morning.  I guess she was hungry for a little treat and ended up getting stuck in there!

I am in utter disbelief and shock over the shooting of 20 kindergarten age children & 6 adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT.  My heart completely breaks for the parents of those children (including the adults that were killed b/c they are someone’s child too).  I think of how gut wrenching it would be to sit by the tree on Christmas day and not know what to do w/ all the wrapped presents for your child, since that precious child won’t be there to open them.  Tears well up in my eyes when I think of the children who did make it but had to witness their teachers and friends being killed and the terror they must have felt.

Just earlier this week my high school alma mater shut down classes b/c there had been bomb threats made.  Kids had to sign in and out to use the restrooms and then teachers would have to go in and check the bathroom between each group of kids being allowed in at a time!

Someone shared this poem that just resonated w/ my soul:

 security“Security”
Artwork by David Bowman

 
Twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
When 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.

Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.

They were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.

"Where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"This is heaven," declared a small boy. "We're spending Christmas at God's house."

When what to their wondering eyes did appear,
But Jesus, their Savior, the children gathered near.

He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
Then He opened His arms and He called them by name.

And in that moment was joy, that only Heaven can bring
Those children all flew into the arms of their King.

And as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
One small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.

And as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of Mom and Dad."

Then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe.

Then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"

"May this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"

Then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"Come now my children, let me show you around."

Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.

And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"In the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA

adoration I just bought this print from David Bowman called “Adoration” 2 weeks ago to give to Autumn for a birthday present b/c it kind of looks like her w/ the dark skin and long dark hair.  This print is even more meaningful to me now, in light of the events today!  I’m not going to say anything to Autumn about the shootings unless she asks.  But I am definitely going to hug her for a long time tonight when I tuck her into bed!

P1080687 I noticed these gorgeous pink flowers on one of our bushes as we were leaving the house tonight!  I didn’t know what type of flowers they are, and they seemed a bit out of place in these cold winter months.  But, they brought me such a sense of peace and comfort as if it was Heavenly Father’s way of saying He’s aware of the bad things in this world but we can still find good.

IMG_8043 Autumn & I grabbed the fudge we made, changed clothes, and went over to the church for our ward Christmas party.  We were there early so we helped get things ready.  The ward provided ham and then everyone brought salads, desserts, potato casseroles, etc.  It was good food!  Autumn kept wanting to go over and refill my cup and her cup w/ lemonade.  I had to get a picture of it b/c at first she was really scared and shy and said she couldn’t do it w/out my help.  But I told her I knew she could do it on her own b/c she’s such a big girl.  I told her I would watch her every second and come running if she needed help.  She mustered up her courage, went over, and filled up a cup all by herself. 

I ADORE this picture of her looking at me to make sure I was watching.  She came back to the table w/ a bounce in her step and she was full of confidence.  I had to fight back the tears b/c I was so proud of her.  It was such a simple thing, but it meant so much to her.

IMG_8051 The Primary kids got up and sang a Christmas song, then we all sang a few Christmas hymns and had a closing prayer.  After that, we sang fun holiday songs like Jingle Bells and then in the middle of a song we heard a bell ringing and a loud, “Ho, ho, ho!”  A special visitor had come from the North Pole!  Autumn ran and waited in the long line of kids for her turn to talk to the Big Man.  When it was finally her turn she got up there and had to show him her shiny red glitter shoes.  This picture of him looking at her shoes w/ her is so cute!

IMG_8054 This is also an adorable picture.  When she got off the stage I asked her what she told Santa she wanted for Christmas.  She said very matter-of-factly, “A computer.”  I laughed and told her Santa will NOT be bringing her a computer b/c there are Mom’s & Dad’s in the world that need one for their jobs much more than she needs one to play games on.  I told her she can use my laptop whenever she wants to.  Funny little bug!

IMG_8064We came home and she wanted me to get a picture of her near the pretty Christmas tree since she was wearing her “pretty dress, pretty shoes, and pretty headband.”  I was happy to oblige, and I like how you can see the reflection of the tree lights on the wood floor.  Tonight when I tucked her into bed I fought hard to hold back the tears and just told her over and over again how much I love her and how she’s my greatest blessing.

No comments: