CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 11, 2013

Terrible Target Tantrum

P1080879 I have had a major hankerin’ for Chipotle for a while now, so Autumn & I went there for dinner and shared a bowl.  I always ask for lots of the rice b/c it’s so good.  The girl working there put so much rice that it almost filled the whole bowl.  When I finally got up to pay they asked if I had gotten double meat b/c it was so full.  This picture doesn’t do it any justice, but it was overflowing.

P1080881 After we ate, we went over to Target (pronounced tar-jay) to pick up a few things.  I had to stop and take a picture of this fancy car all ghetto rigged w/ this plastic and cardboard.  LOL!

P1080882 We got what we needed, but also walked around a little bit and did some “eye candy shopping”.  I love some of these bigger art pieces, but they’re way too expensive for my budget.  So, I’ll just take a picture of them to enjoy instead of the real thing.

P1080883 We walked past the hats and they were 70% off.  I had to try this one on b/c it reminded me of something Lady Mary from Downton Abbey would wear.  However, I am not a “hat person” and don’t look that good in hats.  But, it was fun to try it on.

I could tell Autumn was starting to get restless, so we made our way up to the front of the store to pay for our things.  She started being a stinker and kept trying to push the cart the wrong way.  Then she started pushing me and so I told her that if she kept doing that, I was going to take away the $1 coloring book I let her pick out.  We got up to the register and she pushed me again (I could tell she was just testing my limits), so I told her that she had had warnings and that she would not be getting the coloring book.  I handed it to the cashier and told him we weren’t going to be buying it.  She stood behind me and started crying.

As we were walking out the car, she started jumping up and down and screaming that she wanted to go back and get her coloring book.  I calmly but firmly told her no, b/c she had shown me through her actions that she didn’t want it.  We got to the car and she went into full meltdown mode.  She was trying to kick me and hit me while I put the groceries in our cart.  It was so bad that at this point, people coming in and out of the store were staring at us.  I got down on her level and told her that her behavior was unacceptable and that she would be going to bed as soon as we got home instead of getting to play.

We got in the car and I was putting on my seatbelt when she picked up one of the Renuitz air fresheners and threw it at me!  It took everything I had in me not to turn around and yell at her and spank her butt.  I just ignored her, put on my seatbelt, and drove home. 

As soon as we got home, she went in her room and slammed the door.  I brought in all the groceries, put them away, and then went to go talk to her.  I stood outside her door and heard her talking to herself.  I stood there and listened for a long time and it was interesting what I heard.

I sat down on the floor b/c I figured she’d come out eventually and I wanted to be down on her level when she came out so we could talk.  She did come out and I just told her we needed to talk about what happened.  She sat down on the floor and snuggled up to me and we talked.  She threw a few more fits and got up and tried to slam her door, but I put my hand out and stopped her.  Then she would come and sit w/ me again.  We talked it out, and I think she finally put 2 and 2 together that she had those consequences b/c of how she acted.

Only time will tell if our heart to heart chat worked.  I know she’s just pushing her limits and testing her independence, but that doesn’t mean she has to be hateful and mean about it.    Any suggestions on how to help her through this phase of throwing fits?

P1080885 Once she was finally asleep, I sat down on the couch to decompress.  I think I handled the situation well b/c I didn’t lose my cool.  Mom called to say hi and say she was stopping by McDonald’s and to see if I wanted anything.  I told her the story of Autumn’s Target Tantrum and told her to bring me a $1 hot fudge sundae to drown my sorrows in! LOL!  She came over and we sat and talked on the couch for 2 hours!  It was so nice to have an adult conversation w/out being interrupted.  Nick got home at 10:00 and we ended up dumping out this huge jar of Jelly Bellys on the coffee table to find our favorites.  Mine are the juicy pear & the grapefruit ones.

P1080887-001 While we were talking, we heard Autumn stir in her room.  She came staggering out into the living room and then laid down on the floor and fell back to sleep.  We all started laughing so hard!  Mom left to go home b/c Dad was going to be home from work.  I had to get a picture of her, b/c she’s so cute and sweet and innocent looking when she’s asleep.  I just hope I can be a better Mom to her and be INspired and IN tune to what she needs from me.

No comments: