CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Fire Safety Camp Certification


 I love getting to leave work early on the days that Autumn has Activity Days. Today they met at a park to do a nature walk. While Autumn was doing that I went and did a little window shopping. A friend had told me they have shoes in my big (11/12) size at the Neiman Marcus outlet shop, but they didn't have my size, and the size 10 shoes I looked at were over $100!!! YIKES! Who on earth can afford to spend money like that, especially since this was supposedly the "last call" store!?!? Come to find out, I had it wrong and it is Nordstrom Rack that carries my big size.

Anyways, when I went back to get Autumn she was walking really fast and was way ahead of her group. I guess she was mad b/c she was so hot and sweaty and she just wanted to be DONE! Hmmmmm ... I wonder where she gets that from!?!?

 Nate & Riannon had invited us over for dinner b/c Sis. Wright was going to be there, too. Sis. Wright brought some of the yummiest homemade rolls! They reminded me of the butterhorn rolls my Mom makes at Thanksgiving. We feasted like kings.

 I felt bad, b/c Autumn & I had to "eat and run" in order to get to Young Women's on time. Bro. S is THE BEST! He talked to us about fire safety, and he had some crazy stories to share b/c he used to work as a forest fire fighter.


 Then we moved out to the backyard where he taught us how to extinguish fires, waterproof matches, and then start a fire several different ways. My favorite was holding a battery to steel wool b/c it's foolproof and works super fast.

 He had the girls split up into 4 groups and he had these awesome fire making pits around his yard so the YW could practice how to start a fire. 

 The team that got their fire big and going the fastest won these BIG candy bars! Too much fun!!!

 He had the girls start another fire so they could roast marshmallows and make s'mores! What a WONDERFUL night by a WONDERFUL teacher.

Some of the girls decided to roast their marshmallows over the grill b/c the fire was taking too long. The other leaders and I kept commenting all night about how much easier the Young Women have it than the Scouts. Our "certifications" are pretty basic and just consist of teaching the girls a few little things. The Scouts have it so much harder and actually have to do real certifications and have to "rough it" when they go camping.

I'm so thankful to Bro. & Sis. S for letting us come over and invade their house. Bro. S is a great teacher and makes it fun while helping the girls to actually learn something. Camping, here we come!!!

No comments: