CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sabbath Day Holy Sunday

IMG_8755I’m FOR SURE sick b/c I slept for 11 hours last night! We got up and got ready b/c our Stake switches meeting times the first week in September instead of the first week of January. We got moved up 2 hours, which is great by me b/c we get to sleep in a little but then have the rest of the afternoon available instead of getting home so late. I am still sick, but luckily I don’t have a fever and can still function. This is the one item Autumn tried on and approved of at the kid’s consignment store yesterday.

I took her over to our friend’s house so I could go to ward council. I got to teach all the Young Women combined today. I chose to teach about “Keeping The Sabbath Day Holy.” I talked about WHY it’s important to keep the Sabbath holy.

1) It’s a SIGN:  “Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.” ~Exodus 31:13

“How do we hallow the Sabbath day? In my much younger years, I studied the work of others who had compiled lists of things to do and things not to do on the Sabbath. It wasn’t until later that I learned from the scriptures that my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father. With that understanding, I no longer needed lists of dos and don’ts. When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, ‘What sign do I want to give to God?’ That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear.” ~Elder Russell M Nelson

2) It’s a COVENANT: “Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.” ~Exodus 31:16

What we promise as our part of the covenant: D&C 59:9-13
What Heavenly Father promises us: Leviticus 26:2-12

3) It should be a DELIGHT: “If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:” ~Isaiah 58:13

“And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:” ~Mark 2:27

“What did the Savior mean when He said that ‘the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath’? I believe He wanted us to understand that the Sabbath was His gift to us, granting real respite from the rigors of daily life and an opportunity for spiritual and physical renewal. God gave us this special day, not for amusement or daily labor but for a rest from duty, with physical and spiritual relief. It means for a man to have the joy and happiness which the gospel promises, on this day he must sacrifice the world, set aside his employment as possible, and keep the eternal covenant of the Sabbath day.”

IMG_8748After church we came home and just vegged out b/c we were still feeling sick. I laid on the couch and took a small nap while Autumn sat on the floor and did rainbow looms while she watched a movie. I’m so thankful we have tomorrow off so we can stay home and recoup.

No comments: