CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Spirit Filled Sunday

 I taught the lesson today in Laurels about commandments. While reading 3 Nephi this week, 3 verses in Chapter 1 really stood out to me. Samuel the prophet had told the people that the signs of Christ's birth would be coming in a few short years. The wicked people were making fun of those who believed and looked forward to the signs.

6) And they began to rejoice over their brethren saying: Behold, the time is past, and the words of Samuel are not fulfilled; therefore, your joy and your faith concerning this thing hath been vain.

7) And it came to pass that they did make a great uproar throughout the land; and the people who believed began to be very sorrowful, lest by any means those things which had been spoken might not come to pass.

8) But behold, they did watch steadfastly for that day and that night and that day which should be as one day as if there were no night, that they might know that their faith had not been vain.

We talked about how the underlined parts above apply so much to us today. We try to keep the LONG list of commandments, but the world mocks us and makes fun of us for trying to live good lives. They tell us our "joy and faith are in vain." It's easy for us to be sorrowful and questions ourselves and wonder if the what others are saying is right. However, we need to "watch steadfastly" and KNOW that our faith is not in vain. When we do what Heavenly Father commands us to do, He is BOUND to keep His promises. For the treat I gave them some almond JOYs.

After church, we went over to Mom & Dad's for dinner. Mom had creamy crock pot chicken, rice, green beans, and pie for dessert. We hurried and ate and then rushed home for our home teachers to come over at 3:30. It was a very spiritual experience b/c Autumn was in a bad mood and told our home teacher about all the hardships she's facing at school. He shared some advice w/ her and then told her that no matter what, he is her friend and that he loves her and cares for her. I couldn't hold back the tears!

After he left, Autumn & I went and picked up my visiting teaching partner to go see Sis. Z. Her mother died just a few weeks ago and the funeral was last week. I'm really surprised but thankful that Sis. Z let us come visit. She said she hasn't been sleeping and doesn't want to be around anyone. But, she needed to talk and as she did the Spirit filled the room. We had an appointment to visit Sis. C at 5:00 but I texted and rescheduled it b/c Sis. Z needed to talk some more. We ended up being at Sis. Z's for almost 2 hours! I hope it was therapeutic for her to talk and share stories about her Mom but also to be able to express her grief.

 I dropped off my visiting teaching partner, and she has a girl just a year younger than Autumn, so she offered to let Autumn stay and play while I went to BYD (Bishop's Youth Discussion). Autumn was THRILLED! I hurried over to BYD, b/c Mom & Dad were speaking about their experiences on their mission. Mom did a great job and talked about a few miracles they experienced and also the sacrifices some of the Saints there make to come to the temple.

 Then Dad spoke and shared some thoughts and insights. He shared a video of the cute Primary kids in their ward singing a Primary song. It was a great BYD and the youth were very respectful and listened well. 

I gave one of my YW a ride home and then hurried over to Sis. D's house to get Autumn. They have a bearded dragon and it looked like he had blood all over his mouth. They said it was just strawberry juice, and showed me how he LOVES to eat strawberries.

 I even got to hold him! He's very scaly and scratchy. Autumn wanted to touch him, but didn't want to hold him. We finally said our goodbyes and got home at 9:00. It was a jam packed day, but my spiritual battery is recharged and ready to face the coming week. I'm thankful for all the experiences I had today where I was able to feel the Spirit so strongly!

No comments: