CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Autumn’s Baptism

IMG_6122 Autumn slept so much better last night, and only woke up once. We got up for the day around 8:00, had some breakfast, and hit the road by 9:00. We came home and I started cleaning like a mad woman. I thought I had gotten a lot done before we left, but I grossly underestimated how much I had left to do. I went to check on Autumn to make sure she was cleaning her room, and she was in bed fast asleep! The poor thing was feeling sick again. I finally got cleaned up at 11:20, tried getting her to shower, but she was a limp ragdoll. I wanted to leave for the church at 12:00 so I could get things set up, but she had a melt down so we didn’t leave the house until 12:30. We got to the church, and the font was not filled at all!!! Luckily the Primary President happened to show up, so she started making some calls to find a person that had a key to the controls to turn the water on. The Bishop showed up and got the water going. We ended up starting the baptismal service at 1:30 instead of 1:00 so the font had a chance to fill up a little bit.

IMG_4107 Things did NOT go at all how I had planned. Autumn wasn’t feeling good (you can see the sparkle is gone from her eyes), so she had a conniption fit when I tried to get her to put on her white jumper. It’s a good thing Lexie walked in right then, b/c I was about to sit down on the floor and start crying. Lexie was so kind & patient and got Autumn to put it on. I had planned on getting Autumn’s picture with people as they came into the church, but that didn’t happen and I was lucky to snap these few pictures.

IMG_4109 This is Bishop Atkinson, who we love and admire so much. He is SO THOUGHTFUL and wore the tie that has great meaning to Autumn, and has a neat story to go along with it. He’s such an amazing man and we’re glad he was able to come to the baptism.

IMG_4111 We had this little table set up in the foyer so when people came in they could write Autumn a little note w/ their testimony or well wishes for her. We also had some pictures of her on display. I felt so bad that my little love bug didn’t feel well. The program went well, and I was able to give my talk on baptism w/out crying like I usually do when I give talks.

IMG_6125 I know this picture is blurry, but I still LOVE it. Papa & Autumn walking hand in hand down the hall in their white clothes for her baptism.

IMG_6126 Here’s the two cute baptism girls … Olivia & Autumn. We’re so proud of them & love them so much. Olivia was baptized by her Dad first, and then Autumn went 2nd. When it was time for her to walk down into the water, she started to freak out a little bit. But, as soon as she saw Papa, she calmed down, walked down into the water, and was baptized. Uncle Jon & Uncle Nick served as the witnesses to make sure she was completely immersed. When she came out of the water and walked up the stairs to me, she stared crying. I asked her what was wrong (thinking her tummy was hurting or that she might need to throw up), and she said that she was feeling the Holy Ghost so strong. I immediately started crying, b/c it was such a tender and sacred and beautiful moment that we got to share together. I just hugged her and kissed her forehead over and over and bore my simple testimony to her. It’s a moment I’ll never forget.

IMG_6128 She got all dried off and then we got her changed into her beautiful baptismal dress. Mom found this at the kid’s consignment store a few years ago & bought a size 10, hoping it would fit when Autumn turned 8. It was PERFECT! My cup runneth over with joy!!!

IMG_4126 We went back in the chapel where everyone was watching a movie (Finding Faith In Christ), while the waiting for the girls to get changed. Then we had a talk about the Holy Ghost & it was time for the girls to be confirmed & get the gift of the Holy Ghost. Olivia went first, and then it was Autumn’s turn. In all the craziness of the last few days, I had completely forgotten to ask men to stand in the circle. It ended up being Dad (who confirmed her), Bishop Atkinson, Craig Decker, Jon, Nick, Tyler & Uncle Robert. Dad did a great job and I wrote down a few key points he said.

After the program we went out in the hall & took more pics. You can tell that Autumn is feeling better here. Right after she was baptized she said that her tummy was feeling better and she didn’t feel sick anymore! These 2 sweet girls are so precious! If you look closely, you’ll notice that Autumn is wearing a delicate pearl necklace & bracelet. Lexie wore them on her wedding day, and let Autumn borrow them for her baptism today!

IMG_4138 We got pictures of Autumn w/ people as they were leaving so that we can put their picture next to the card they wrote her in a memory book. There were 3 ladies that came that used to teach her back in nursery when she was just 2 years old! We had so many people there between the family and friends for these 2 girls that we had to hold the services in the chapel. Bishop Atkinson had them stand up when we first started the meeting and he had them turn around and look at all the people that were there who love them and support them. I’m truly grateful that so many people were there … it really does take a village!

This picture brings tears to my eyes, b/c I couldn’t do it without Mom & Dad (Papa & Mimi). They are such a huge part of our everyday lives, and it has been such a blessing for Autumn to have such a close relationship with them. Not a lot of kids get the chance to know and love their grandparents the way she has. They have blessed our lives in countless ways.

IMG_4143 After the baptism we came home & had lunch. Liz was an ANGEL & came over to my house right after Autumn was baptized & got the food ready. It was such a huge burden off my shoulders, b/c I hadn’t had time to get to it before we left for the baptism. She is such a kindred spirit & best type of friend. We had sandwiches, veggies, chips, cashews, red vines, lemonade, and …
 IMG_4147 … CAKE! I can’t say enough good things about Costco cakes. This cake was GORGEOUS, it tasted good, it fed everyone (with a lot left over), I had them personalize it, and it was just $18.99! LOVE IT!

IMG_4160 I am so glad that Autumn was feeling better and had the sparkle back in her eyes. She asked me to make her a sandwich b/c she was finally hungry after 2 days of not wanting to eat. I made her a sandwich and started laughing when I saw her w/ her feet propped up just chillaxin. What a kid. It made me so happy to have my house full of people that we know and love. We were eating, talking, laughing, and making memories.

IMG_6144 Everyone started leaving to head home, and the saddest was when I realized that this might be the last time Papa & Mimi see Lexie’s family for the next 18 months. The only way they’ll see them again before they go on their mission is if they go down and visit them in Austin. But, they’re quickly running out of time to do that.

IMG_4170Once everyone was gone, Mom gave Autumn a bag she had embroidered w/ Autumn’s name, 8 is great, and I am a child of God. I gave Autumn her own set of scriptures. I got her the little pocket sized ones b/c they were significantly cheaper than the full sized set. Plus, this way they can fit in a small church bag.

Liz & Liberty & Jacob came over to say hi & have some cake, b/c they had to leave before we had the luncheon. It was fun to sit and visit with them. I put Autumn to bed at 8:30, and was going to just lay down w/ her until she fell asleep, but I was EXHAUSTED from this weekend and I fell asleep for the night! What a WONDERFUL day it was.

No comments: