CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 1, 2012

One Little Word 2012

Ever since 2008 (I can hardly believe it will be 4 years since I started doing this) I have followed the example of Ali Edwards and picked one word to focus on for the year.  I am NOT a goal making person, and have always hated making New Year’s Resolutions.  But, the idea of One Little Word resonated with me when I first read about it back in 2008 and ever since then, I have picked a word every year to focus on.  I think it will be so neat to look back 10 and 20 and 30 years down the road from now and see my list of words for every year and relive why I chose that word and how it helped me through that year.

2008:  HAPPINESS
2009:  CHANGE
2010:  ACCEPTANCE
2011: WALK ON THE WATER TOO

Before I talk about my word for 2012, I wanted to do a review of my 2011 word/phrase.  The phrase Walk On The Water Too chose me and came from the song by Britt Nicole’s and also one of my favorite stories in the New Testament of Peter walking on water. I know I totally flaked out ½ way through the year of posting updates about my OLW, and that I didn’t really focus on it a lot.  I have to admit that part of the reason I didn’t follow through w/ posting something every month about my phrase like I had planned, was b/c I couldn’t express my thoughts very eloquently.  I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I tend to blog at night when I’m tired and I have the TV on, which just adds to the distraction.  I had so many great thoughts in my head about my OLW but couldn’t get those to translate into written word on my blog.

So even though I didn’t do a lot with my OLW for the year, I do have to say that it was always there in the back of my mind and the David Bowman picture on my dresser was a subconscious daily reminder of it. I feel like there were a lot of times this year where I had to let go of my “boat” or comfort zone, have faith, and take steps towards the Savior.  I think b/c I was aware of it and had it on my mind, I also noticed lots of faith and miracles happen in the lives of people around me as well.  My OLW for 2011 was perfectly suited for me and did help to shape my life.

Anyways, onto 2012…I was a little stressed and surprised to find out that 2 weeks ago that Ali had already picked her word and was starting to compile the list of words people are choosing for 2012.  I wanted my word to be included in that list, so I started searching for my word.  Usually, I like to let my word pick me (like it did last year) and not feel pressured or rushed to find my word b/c then I worry that it won’t be a right fit.  But, my word found me and I have been able to do a lot of searching on the internet for ideas and pictures and quotes that will help me to focus on my word all year and inspire me.  My word for 2012 is:

 

H.O.P.E.

Originally I passed over the word hope b/c I felt that it wasn’t an action word.  It was just a passive word and didn’t carry any action behind it (kind of like my worry about originally using the word Acceptance in 2010).  For example, “I hope that I get married this year,” or “I hope I lose some weight.”  Those are both things that I am focusing on for 2012, but I didn’t want them to be passive things.  I can hope for those things to happen all I want, but if I don’t put any action behind it then nothing will come of that hope.  But, if you notice…I didn’t just use the word hope.  I have a dot in between each letter b/c I am going to focus on h.o.p.e as an acronym.  I went to THIS website to look up acronyms for the word hope and was pleasantly surprised to see that there are 689 H.O.P.E. acronyms.  I took the time to read through each and every one and copied and pasted my favorite ones into a word document.  Then I went through that list of 55 and narrowed it down to my top 14 favorite.  Here they are in no particular order:

*Heart Open, Please Enter
*Highlights Of Personal Experience
(recording and documenting with Project Life)
*Hope, Opportunity, Purpose & Encouragement
*Harnessing Optimism and Potential Everyday
*Healthiness Offers Peaceful Enjoyment
*Hearing Other Peoples’ Experiences

*Honest Open Positive Environment
*Harvesting Our Personal Efforts
*Having Other Possibilities Exist
*Hoping On, Pray Expectantly
*Healing Our Past Experiences
*Hold Onto Prayer Everyday
*Hang On, Possibilities Exist
*Hang On, Peace Exists

I just noticed, and really like, how this list kind of makes the shape of a jar. 
I imagine that inside that jar are all the joys, sorrows, accomplishments, trials, memories and events that 2012 has in store for me.

Last year I was able to find a song,  artwork, and a spiritual reference that went along w/ my OLW.  I really loved having those audio, visual, and spiritual reminders throughout the year.  I am thrilled that I am able to do the same for this year.  Below are 4 different pieces of artwork that I was able to find on etsy.com.  I am having a hard time deciding which picture I want to purchase to have as my visual reminder.  I am glad that 3 of the ones I chose all use the same scripture (to use as my spiritual reference) of Jeremiah 29:11.  This particular version of the scripture is from the NIV instead of the King James Bible.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the

 LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm

you, plans to give you hope and a future.

 

hope 2
Picture from HERE

hope saying 1
Picture from HERE

hope saying 2
Picture from HERE

hope saying 4
Picture from HERE

Which one do y’all like the best?

Then, for the song I of course had to pick “I Hope You Dance” by Lee Ann Womack.  Ever since that song came out back in 2000 (has it really been that long???) it has been one of my favorite songs.  The message behind it is so powerful and it always makes me teary-eyed.

I HOPE You Dance

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'
Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along)
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder, where those years have gone?)

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

Dance
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along)
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder, where those years have gone?)

I am tickled pink that I was able to find a spiritual reference, picture, and anthem for my new word for a new year.  I always like to look back at all that has transpired over the past 12 months and wonder what will take place in the next 12 months.  Time seems to just be flying by for me.  When I moved back to Texas, which doesn’t seem that long ago Autumn was 5 months old.  Then I blinked my eyes a few times and all of a sudden she will be 5 years old this month!  Just a good reminder at the start of this new year to “never take one single breath for granted,” and to make the most of “Harvesting Our Personal Efforts.”

HAPPY 2012!!!

2 comments:

Desperately Seeking Gina said...

What an AWESOME post about OLW!!

Rachel said...

I love your one-word goals for the year. It is such a good way to focus yourself.